Monday, August 6, 2012

Mt. Memories.........

.....so, Sabbath we were going to go up the mountain to my brother's house to watch my son Garhett, be re-baptized. We packed everyone into the van, including my mom and drove up to the house to watch with my brother, sister-in-law, niece and nephew and some friends from church. My brother had his computer on the link at 3:00. It was suppose to start at 5:15, our time. (Texas is two hours ahead of us.) So....... 5:15 came and went. It looked like they were trying to get the visual up...it would come on, then off. It was a pattern like this for fifteen minutes or so.  We kept praying. Finally, at the site, they said they couldn't get visual, but we were able to get some audio. My brother hooked up his speakers and we were able to hear some now and then. We heard Dakota, introduce herself. Later, we heard another young lady introduce herself that we had met last year at ASI. We heard some of the President of ASI, sermon. Who just happens to be the father of friends of ours. The sound was going in and out. We heard some clapping and muffled tones. We tried to listen until about 9:45. We had sun-down worship in between that time, then decided we'd better head down the mountain....to go home. With heavy hearts, we piled back in the van and headed out.
Last year, Garhett was gone this long....but, we were able to go and see what he had been doing! We drove two states away...when we got to our destination we were a part of these baptisms. This year, was a different story.
On the way down the mountain, I was trying to stay positive. I was trying not to feel sorry for myself, for not being able to see my son rededicate his life to the Lord and baptize someone else for the first time! Yes, he was baptized by this man named Chris, and in turn Garhett baptized him! I wanted to be a part of this! I wanted to see what he had been doing! I wanted to meet all of his new friends...I wanted..... I wanted....., but it wasn't to be. I couldn't even hear it!!
As I was wrestling with my emotions the Lord, placed a deer in our path...then another one and a baby and some bucks. We counted twelve to be exact! It was a beautiful sight and a comfort to know that the Lord cared about a mother's heart. He cared about the emotions the younger children were dealing with. He cared about a daddy's heart and a grandma's heart. He placed those deer in our path, to guide our thoughts into a different direction.
Then, a thought ran through my mind.....all these years I have had Garhett to myself, so to speak. Homeschooling him, not having teachers telling me about my son. Not having teachers telling me where my son was weak or strong. I was that person! I didn't deal with day cares or baby sitters! I was that person! I have been given one of the greatest gifts...I have been a stay-at-home-mom and his teacher! This gave me comfort....but my heart was still crying. Then...I received a text from a very dear friend who had the opportunity to hear Garhett's baptism. She wrote me these comforting words;

What a blessing! I am sure your hearts are full of joy and thanksgiving. God is blessing you with a most treasured reward for your faithfulness as parents, willing to raise your lovely children according to His Word! God bless your precious family!

I felt that burning in my throat and thought....it's over...he has been baptized and he has baptized Chris. I missed it...I missed it!
Not fifteen minutes after we got home, Garhett called. I answered and our conversation went like this;
Garhett: Mama! Did you hear me?
Me: (pause......) Hi Garhett, no honey, I didn't.
Garhett: Why not Mama?
Me: ( I explained the problems)
Garhett: Mama! It was great...it was awesome! Oh and Mama.....I LOVE YOU! I mean...I  love you so much!
Me: (speechless, I can't talk...my throat is burning and my eyes are watering as I squeak out an...) I love you too, Garhett.
He assured me he could get a copy of it. He was sure we could see it on DVD.

Today, Tori skyped our friends who are in Hungary for YFJ. Tori, was telling Christina and Vanessa, that we missed Garhett's baptism. They comforted Tori, by saying...
"Tori, you will get to watch it, sitting right next to Garhett!"
Oh, those words comforted her so much and myself! The Lord, is so good to us, by putting such dear friends into our lives!

I am telling you...this is the generation.....the youth of today are doing a mighty work for the Lord! I praise His name!!!
(This was last year at the ASI convention. Garhett is speaking to Scott Moore and about 3,000 Seventh Day Adventist believers)


1 comment:

  1. Ooooh! So I am not the only one who has been experiencing some bitter disappointments! I had no idea that you had not heard everything. You will get to see it with Garhett filling you in on the details. I'm trying to trust during this no computer trial. .... My phone only does a few things:-(

    So thankful for summer school - many thanks to Rhett. No one can know what a help it is to me.

    Your testimony is beautiful ... Your love for your family and for Christ shines through. God will richly reward your faith.

    ReplyDelete