Wednesday, July 25, 2012

YD Camp

We got to our destination on Friday afternoon. We set up our camp, had dinner and ferried over to YD camp where Mitchell and Tori had been all week.
The afternoon was eventful...some foul weather had come upon us, in the form of severe wind and some rain. There were tents rolling all over the camping area and our tent was "half-way" blown down! We survived it on that side of the water, but the other side of the water (where YD camp was) was a whole different story.
So, we pulled into a very quiet camp. We met a counselor, we hadn't yet been acquainted with. She informed us that "camp-fire" worship would not be held at the camp-fire that evening, because of the storm. It was going to be held where the church service would be held the next day. So, we walked down there, to meet some friends and talk with them awhile. Soon, the campers started coming into "camp-fire" time. I was looking to see if I saw the faces of my two children and finally I did! The first one I saw was Mitchell! He looked so tall!! He was smiling from ear to ear...he had caught my look. He came rushing up with a hug, while I was biting my lip as not to embarrass him in front of his friends. (He was doing the same thing!) He told me he had, had a terrific week and it was life changing for him! I was so happy to see him!!! His little brothers and sister were hugging him with joy, as well as his daddy. I then spotted my girl coming down the hill, with a group of giggling girls. She made a bee line past everyone and came running into my arms, shedding many tears. She kept saying over and over,"I couldn't remember what you looked like! I couldn't remember!!!" (You know I once heard someone say that when you are apart from your loved ones, the memory of their faces fade away. I think there is some truth to that.)
She hugged me and her daddy for several minutes. I could feel her little body relax, just knowing we were there.
So many good things happened at camp this year. Tori's good friend decided to get re-baptized. Other friends have started their own personal devotional times with God. Young Disciple Camp, along with Elder Randy Skeete, really changed the lives of these young kids.
Now is the time....these pre-teen and teenage years are so fragile. We must reach these kids before it's to late!
Well, back to the storm on their side of the water. Tori, was out doing literature evangelism, in a fifteen passenger van. A tree fell down on the windshield of that van and shattered the glass. Tori, had some glass in her lip, but thankfully it was easily taken care of. There were so many stories that evening of lives being spared by fallen trees. One counselor said he saw this HUGE tree coming right for him. He knew his time was up, then all of a sudden the tree went sideways and fell! His guardian angel had protected him! Now, these aren't just little trees. These are HUGE fir trees, spruce trees and so on. There were so many miracles. There was only one story we heard where someone was severely hurt. This man, who is a member of the SDA church was in his 5th wheel, when a tree fell down on it and split it completely in half. He was in there and it broke his leg in five different spots. He's okay, but it will take awhile to recover.
Oh, so many testimonies this weekend! We got home just in time to do all the laundry, pack again and head out on a canoe trip! I have so many pictures on my camera I need to down load to my computer!
Well, I better run! God bless and more news later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment